Focus Verse: “Children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth.” Psalm 127:3-4
My 7 Biggest Parenting Fails:
1. Not Engaging/Inattentive
- “4 He must manage his own family well, having children who respect and obey him. 9 They must be committed to the mystery of the faith now revealed and must live with a clear conscience.” 1 Timothy 3:4, 9 NLT
- “Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6 NASB
3. Cultivation Happiness vs. Building of Joy
- “Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.” Proverbs 13:24 NLT
4. Poor Prioritization
- “And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. 7 Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up.” Deuteronomy 6:6-7 NLT
- Prayer Requested
- Daniel Murphy Story
- “Discipline your children, and they will give you peace; they will bring you the delights you desire.” Proverbs 29:17 NIV
6 . Anger Management
- “Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.” Ephesians 6:4 NIV My Parenting Through Conflict Strategy
7. Making it About Me
- “Discipline your children while there is hope.
Otherwise you will ruin their lives.” Proverbs 19:18 NLT
“Let It Go Principles” taken from Counseling Through the Bible Handbook by June Hunt
- Let Go of seeing your child as an extension of yourself.
- Let Go of your desire to possess your child.
- Let Go of your expectations of your child.
- Let Go of jumping in to save your child from failure.
- Let Go of seeking harmony at all times.
- Let Go of your need to be appreciated.
- Let Go of parenthood as your primary identity.